Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Spaghetti Land

Yesterday I arrived in Venice and to tell the truth, I still don’t believe it to be real. When arriving at the airport I had a short walk to the water taxi area. Straight from the plane to the water....kind of like living in Fort Frances!  After getting off my stop I then proceeded to walk in complete circles for about an hour, over 3 small bridges with my luggage. I swear next trip I will bring only one suitcase...famous last words!

It wasn’t until later in the day when I realized that all I had to do was walk straight ahead...no bridges for about 300 meters. I guess I was too busy walking around with my jaw dropped to pay any attention to my map. I laughed out loud when I figured this out and I’m sure the people around me wonder what I had to drink with lunch!

My hotel is in the quiet area of Dorsoduro. The building was originally the home of a wealthy family. Murano glass fixtures are throughout this small hotel with ornate ceilings embellished with frescos and carvings. My room is the size of a shoebox, but very clean and has everything I need including a comfy bed the size I had when I was a little girl. Interesting thing is when travelling alone in Europe, all the rooms for one face a wall or back alley, which is fine because so little time is spent here when surrounded by such beauty.

I spent the better part of today lost in the maze which is Venice. I do believe this should be on your list of to do’s if ever you find yourself here. Wandering, surrounded by the most beautiful light I was mesmerized as it bounced between the buildings and reflected richly in the canals.
I happened upon the Peggy Guggenheim gallery finding a great collection of art ranging from Pollock to Kandinsky. There were also some by Picasso, who I have always had trouble connecting with, until now.

I rented the audio tour and very glad I did. On there was a quote by Picasso regarding his thoughts on the metamorphosis of a painting that I would like to share.

“A picture is not thought as settled beforehand. While it is being done it changes as one’s thoughts change and when it is finished it still goes on changing according to the state of mind whoever’s looking at it. As a picture lives a life like a living creature undergoing changes imposed on us by our life from day to day. This is natural enough as the picture lives only through the man who is looking at it.”

When I first heard this I was taken aback. I have long known this to be true and to hear these words now and know Picasso had this same belief has given me confidence in the knowledge I posses. The following is something I have written about two years ago.

“I’ve noticed when beginning a painting I have a general idea of what it is I will paint and somewhere between beginning and finishing it changes, evolves. This is not planned, but an observation. I also have noticed when different people view the work it changes again with each of their views according to the time in life they are at. It also evolves for me when I look at it in the future, I remember different things about where I was in my life at that time and as my life changes, so does the painting.”

I know this is also true of the written word. To me art and writing are one and the same.
Now off to get lost again in this pile of spaghetti they call streets. Hmmm that sounds pretty good for dinner.

Ciao!

Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...